Wedding Planning Timeline
So he proposed and you said, “yes.” Congratulations! Once the initial excitement and joy wears off, you will suddenly realize there’s a lot to do to plan a wedding. What to do when, is a question all newly engaged couples have, so here is a quick wedding planning timeline you can use a guide.
Keep in mind, all couples and all weddings are different, so nothing is set in stone, but a few things just have to be done with a certain amount of lead time. We hope this guide helps you get started with your wedding planning journey, and remember, Omaha Lace Cleaners is your local bridal gown specialist and we can help you with all your bridal gown needs.
9 to 12 months
- Begin pinning down a date, keep a few in mind so you can be flexible with your favorite venue and book it!
- Determine a budget and discuss who will be contributing what.
- Register on a local wedding website or a site like the knot.com so you can begin researching wedding professionals and gathering ideas.
- Begin compiling a guest list.
- If it wasn’t done at purchase; have your engagement ring appraised and insured.
- Create a wedding website.
- Determine the size of your bridal party and invite your choices.
- Find and choose your officiant.
6 to 9 months
- Now is the time to find the perfect dress and schedule your fittings. If you’re choosing to wear your mother’s or grandmother’s gown, it’s the time to call Omaha Lace Cleaners for restoration and gown customization.
- Book your photographer and set up an engagement photo session to get comfortable with them.
- Decide on a wedding planner or day-of coordinator.
- Hire your florist, musicians, caterers, cake bakers, and other pros.
- Register and put the links on your wedding website.
- Decide on the bridesmaids dresses and schedule alterations if needed. Omaha Lace specializes in gown alterations, including bridesmaids, flower girls and mother of the bride dresses. You can also schedule to have your bridal party’s gowns pressed and delivered directly to your wedding venue
- Begin planning honeymoon and apply for any needed passports or visas.
- Order the invitations and “Thank You” notes.
- Shop for wedding bands.
3 to 5 months
- Iron out the rehearsal dinner details, like the time and location, and invite your wedding party.
- Team up with a beauty stylist team and schedule a trial run. We recommend two trial runs, unless the first one is absolutely perfect.
- Select the getaway car.
- Choose the groom’s and groomsmen attire – to rent or to buy! Omaha Lace works with Xedo Tuxedos, so you can easily order your men’s attire.
- Finalize guest list.
- Write “Thank You” notes for registry gifts as they arrive.
1 to 2 months
- Mail out wedding invitations with a RSVP cut-off of three weeks before the wedding date.
- Begin writing vows if you plan to personalize them.
- Call vendors to confirm date, times and location.
- Schedule your gown to be pressed and delivered to your wedding venue
- Enjoy a bachelorette weekend with your ladies.
- Obtain a marriage license.
- Send playlists to your musicians.
- Begin breaking in wedding shoes.
- Check off your “something old, new, borrowed in blue”.
- Put together a day-of emergency kit (bandages, deodorant, fashion tape, concealer, sewing kit).
- Prepare final payments to vendors.
- Plan ceremony and reception seating.
1 week before
- Buy new clothes for your honeymoon.
- Missing RSVPs? Follow up now!
- Send wedding timeline to the bridal party and include day-of contact information.
- Pack an overnight bag for the wedding night. Include outfits for any day-after events, like a goodbye brunch.
- Leave your honeymoon itinerary with a family member.
- Pamper yourself with a mani-pedi.
1 day before
- Put vendor tips in envelopes and ask maid-of-honor to distribute them.
- Rehearse the ceremony and go to dinner.
- Give gifts to the bridal party and parents.
- Give rings to the best man and maid-of-honor.
- Eat breakfast!
- Be beautify, relax and get married.
- Freeze the top layer of your cake for your first anniversary or arrange for your baker to provide you with a mini version of your cake on your anniversary.
- Have your wedding gown and formal wear cleaned and preserved. Omaha Lace is Nebraska’s only Nebraska member of the Association of Wedding Gown Specialist.
- Write “Thank You” notes for any day-of gifts.
- Enjoy your honeymoon!