Tips to Properly Store Winter Garments
Now that winter is nearly over, it’s time to start thinking about storing away all those winter clothes until next season. It’s very important to clean and store all your items carefully, so they will stay looking their very best next season, especially those beautiful classic sweaters. We’ve got a few simple rules to properly store winter garments that will help you keep your winter fashions looking good season after season.
- Wash and Dryclean Everything Before Storage Some stains that are now invisible may darken with age. Dirt and food are also invitations to insects.
- Make All Necessary Repairs Sew sagging hemlines, replace missing buttons, and fix split seams— before cleaning and storing for the season.
- Store All items in a Cool, Well-Ventilated Area Hot attics, damp basements, and garages are to be avoided.
- Store Away From Natural and Artificial Light A cool, dark closet is a good location for storage. Store woolens in cedar chests or other airtight containers. Second choices for storage are cloth or canvas bags and cardboard boxes. If you store your garments in a closet, drape a cloth sheet over your clothes to protect them from dust and light. Do not store leathers, furs, and woolens in plastic. Plastic encourages moisture, which can create mildew.
- Pack Airtight Containers (other than cedar chests) with Mothballs Suspended Above or Separate from the Clothes Never place mothballs directly on the clothes. Cedar blocks or chips also discourage moths.
- Fold Sweaters To Decrease Wrinkles Fold them and wrap in white tissue paper before storing. If you hang your sweaters, fold over the cross bar to avoid shoulder stretches. Down, like all winter clothing, should be cleaned (either washed or drycleaned according to the care label) before storage. Down should be stored loosely to allow for air circulation.
- Furs Should be Stored Properly Furs should be stored on a well padded hanger in a cool, dark place, ideally with a professional fur storage company or a drycleaner with fur storage capacity.
- Consider Using Omaha Lace Cleaners for Your Storage Needs If you do not have proper storage space, ask us about storage. You can get your clothes cleaned and properly stored all at the same time.