The Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
The Only Sugar Cookie Recipe You’ll Need
December is the time when even those of us that don’t bake very often, break out the mixer and the cookie trays and start baking for the holiday! This sugar cookie recipe was given to me by a friend nearly 30 years ago, and I make it every year. The cookies turn out so light they practically melt in your mouth.
So with today being National Cookie Day…I thought I’d share my favorite sugar cookie recipe with all of you!
If you try it. Let us know, we’d love to know if you like it as much I do.
Melt in Your Mouth Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time taking care to beat well after each addition. Add cream and beat. Combine the dry ingredients and gradually add to creamed mixture. The dough will be very sticky. Cover and refrigerate for no less than 3 hours and up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 325°
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the cold dough to about 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with cookie cutters of your choice, dipped in flour (to make cleaner cuts).
- Place cookies at least 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Frost with your favorite frosting or icing.